Faith

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Human Donuts No More!

That's refreshing! I just listened to Yeng Constantino's testimoy and I am blown away by her God.

Some months ago she graced UP Diliman with her presence and gave a short talk during the ACLE. She talked about how empty her life was even AFTER fulfilling all her dreams-her dreams of becoming rich and famous. She experienced the void and depression that purposeless living gives. While listening to her I am also reminded of the time that I was almost like her. Well I am not a famous singer-songwriter (I wish!) but I know where she was coming from. I can relate to the pain of being hollow inside. In fact if we will be perfectly honest about ourselves, we all could relate to that pain. All of us are huge donuts!

I am blown away by her God, who by the way is also my God. He blew me away in the same manner some 9 years ago. Isa akong trese anyos lang na bata noon, pero dipres-dipresan din ang drama ko. At a young age I knew something was terribly wrong. I was aware of the fact that this life is pointless. There was no meaning, no joy. I viewed life as just the boring routine of waking up, going to school, having a degree, working, storing up money, getting married, having kids, getting old, then dying.

But the most humbling thing happened. This King condescended and whispered "Lee Ann, I love you and I want to have a relationship with you." God did that? He did. You see, what makes my story similar to Yeng's, and probably to anyone else's who share the same faith as us is the fact that we were not the ones who did anything about the darkness of our state. We weren't the ones who sought after Light, it was the other way around. All along it was Christ who was pursuing us and waiting, so patiently waiting until we finally came to our senses and said "Yes Jesus, I want to love you back. Take all of me for I am Yours. " That made all the difference in the world. The once-meaningless found purpose; joy overflowed, and heaven joined in the celebration.

In John 10:10 Jesus says "I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."

He came. We did not go to him. It was him who found us because left on our own we would still be lost. He came with the rose of His death to woo us.

God did that. And still does. Would you accept his rose?

No comments:

Post a Comment